Monday, May 21, 2012

My first boyfriend

My first boyfriend was a boy from the Virgin Islands. He was a cute boy, a year ahead of me in school. We were good friends. Part of a close group of friends who were all part of our churches Luther League.

Anyway, I will never forget the night he asked me out.....

I had low self esteem even then, was
Self conscious about my weight then too. Anyway, I was at a friends house for a Halloween party. I wasn't feeling well and was actually waiting outside for my parents to come pick me up. I was sitting on the tire swing feeling miserable when out comes the cute older boy with the great accent. He asked me out. I didn't even know what to say. So I said yes. Then I really panicked!!! What now? Did he expect me to "put out?". I hadn't even kissed anyone before. Would I be good at it? When would I be expected to kiss him? Did he even want to kiss me?

I was so confused and scared as to what it meant to be dating someone. To be their girlfriend. So what did I do?

I stopped talking to him. I would turn around and walk the other way in he halls at school. I would avoid him at church and not take phone calls. Don't know what I was expecting but 2 weeks went by like this. Then I got quite the shock. My best friend came up to me and declared she was now dating my boyfriend.

She was so proud of herself. She was also very quick to let me know what she thought of my behavior towards my boyfriend. I think she was daring me to be angry with her. How did I feel though? Relieved. I could go back to being friends with a cute boy I was friends with.

We had some amazing times together after that. I even had other boyfriends in high school, an somehow I was able to tell myself that since I had already had a boyfriend there was no reason to be nervous. Those relationships went much more normally.

But you know what? I don't remember those boys as well as I do the cute boy from the Virgin Islands. He was my first boyfriend, and we didn't talk the entire 2 weeks we went out and I'll never forget him. Or all the for sale signs on our front yard throughout high school. But that is a story for another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment