Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Kids say the darnedest things

I used to love watching that show. The kids were so guileless and honest. It was always in that honesty that the humor showed through.

There are times I wish I could put my son on that show. Sometimes he sounds like a little old man, sometimes he blows me away using words and phrases I would never have thought someone his age would have heard let alone know how to use in the right context.

For my birthday I got a card addressed to MOMMAH!!! (a.k.a. Mommy). What nine year old uses that?

Or how about last Friday when I got dressed up to go pay my respects and support to a good friend whose father had passed away. I put on a nice outfit and make up (yes, for those of you who know me- I do know how to apply make up I just choose not to most of the time) I walked down stairs and my son says "Wow! Mom you look gorgeous.". So I replied with "Thank you sweetie, gorgeous may be a little strong, but that was so nice of you.". To that his reply was "well, not you, your shirt is gorgeous!". How sweet right? Guess I know now to just say thank you and move on...

That same night he spent the night at my parents house. He loves his sleep overs there as he gets to sleep downstairs with my mother. Well, he informed my mother that at home he likes to sleep "au naturale" my mother was so surprised she asked "what?". So my son explained that it means naked.

My son is way too smart too. I can't get away with a simple explanation of anything. He wants to debate EVERYTHING!!! He tried to get me to buy him a toy over the Internet because he really wanted it and it only cost £1.99. I explained first that it cost more than 1.99 as it was in pounds not dollars, and second that I didn't have the money to spend on silly little toys right now. So he proceeded to ask me how much I spent on the weed whacker I bought the day before. I explained it was not his business what I spend on household items. He came back with "yes it is, because I'm a part of this family." I then ticked him right off with my response: "Yes, you are a very important part of this family, but that does not give you the right to know about the expenses in the house. When you get a job and start contributing financially to this household you will have the right to certain financial details and not a moment before.". Ohh didn't that make him mad.

I'm sure this won't be the last post on his saying the darnedest things....

No comments:

Post a Comment