Tuesday, May 10, 2011


Well, lets chat about the amazing two days I've just had.  Did you smell the sarcasm there?  You should have.

It all started yesterday morning with a phone interview for my son's insurance.  I was told that even without the interview I sent in enough information to guarantee he qualified.  So why did we go through the entire interview?  Then she wanted to chat.  Very nice woman, but I've got places to go and people to see!  Then I sat down for 5 minutes to relax before heading out only to get a call asking where I was from my mom.  Told her I'd be right there after dropping paperwork off at the office.  My manager wanted to chat, and catch up AND had a lot she wanted to let me know and do, but couldn't remember 1/2 of it.  She seemed put out when I finally said I have to go I was running late.  Did half the things my mother and I had planned, at least it included getting lunch!  Then headed to work.  This is where the real fun began.....

I didn't have keys, had to find where staff was hiding the back door key, found that, let myself in and found no food, no milk, WTH?  One of the 2 clients came home having been incontinent in the drivers car.  Got in the house to remember I didn't the key to the med closet or bathroom closet.  No key= NO GLOVES!!!!  Thankfully I remembered that I have a box in my car at all times.  Now you know and don't have to wonder if you ever fund yourself in my car. Helped client #1 clean up and changed.  Waiting for staff to show up.  Client #2 comes home, I realize that staff are not coming, call nearby program to have them bring spare med/ bathroom key to me.  Waited 20 minutes for her to show up.  Turned my ankle when going to answer the door.  Got a call from my manager asking me to take both clients to the office 15 minutes away and get money for groceries, giving me 1hr 20 min to get to the office, get home, cook the only package of hotdogs and can of soup in the house, pack a swim bag, do some medical care, and meds before having to leave to take clients to swimming.  Talk about stress much?
I arrived at the office and told manager that we were doing take out for supper to conserve time.  They got the order wrong.  Then stopped for coffee ( I really needed it at this point) they got that order wrong too.  Got home, packed, meds, ate( clients not me), did the 5 things manager asked me to do, called overnight staff to come in early and left a few minutes late for swimming.  After swimming stopped at store to pick up milk, bread, fruit and snacks for lunches. Came home.

Now I have 40 minutes to write the whole days notes for both clients, switch laundry, make lunch for tomorrow, give other meds, assist client with ADLS, and help a client to bed.  The stress isn't much better. I have one client who won't stop talking to me and let me concentrate and then I get a phone call from my accountant.  Guess why?

Her computer was compromised, and All our info including social security numbers were compromised.  I then in a complete panic and daze take down all the steps I need to take to protect myself.  This left me 10 minutes to do everything I need to do, while panicking about identity theft.  Are you kidding me?
I miraculously get everything done, except client to bed, while overnight staff arrives and starts complaining about how he was never told that the clients move was postponed, although he somehow did find out about it before he had to work his next shift.  Huh, make sense?  Then I got home only to have my  hopefully-soon-to-be-ex-husband be condescending to the point I wanted to throw things at him.  This was day one.

Day 2 started with a meeting at my sons school, and ended with me coming home late to my hopefully-soon-to-be-ex-husband telling me that he doesn't think he can continue much longer with late nights 5 nights a week. ( Sunday:9pm, Monday:9:20pm, Tuesday:9:20pm, Wednesday:11:20pm, and Thursday:7pm.  So I know that Weds is late, but the rest he's been doing all along.  Now I will admit to being late 2 nights this week, but I apologized, and it's out of the ordinary.  When I asked him if he wanted me to find a babysitter for one or more nights a week he stormed off into the night like I'm such a bad person.

In between all that, I was in a meeting with my manager, shopping for groceries for my son, working and missing supper, and missing voting.

Now I know what you are thinking, how much of this is true?  I can assure you, all of it.  You can't make this shit up.  I can look back at it now and see the absurdness that all this would happen in such a small period of time but I assure you it did. Sometimes I wonder, what would I do if life were normal?  By that I mean normal for normal people, cause this seems to be my normal.  I don't think I'd know what to do with myself, what do you think?  Talk at you soon.......  

No comments:

Post a Comment