Monday, September 2, 2013

Massage vs para massage

I've been a licensed massage therapist for several years now. I, and most of my colleagues, work really hard to educate people on the benefits of massage as a legitimate health care option when working towards total body wellness. 

Lately there have been several places in Maine which have come under scrutiny because of their practices. Some for not operating with a license, or offering "other services" for their patrons. I'm sure you can guess what types of services I'm talking about......

This type of practice gives those of us who work hard and are ethical and professional a bad name. A friend of mine who is an amazing therapist has even talked about giving her practice up because of all the gossip, innuendo and looks she sees and hears while out and about in her town. 

This is down right disgraceful if you ask me. But this isn't even the main topic for my blog today....the main topic is para massage. What is paramassage you might ask?  Well, according to Scarborough's town ordinance it is defined as: 

  Any method of rubbing, kneading, tapping, vibration, compression, percussion, application of friction or manipulation of the external parts of the human body with the hands or other parts of the body or with the aid of any instrument or device, and which is not massage therapy.

And a paramassage establishment is defined as:

Any business, including but not limited to sole proprietorship, in which the business operation consists of providing or making available para-massage for consideration or with the expectation of receiving consideration or any gratuity, whether or not the business has a fixed place of business within the limits of the Town.

Say WHAT???  Did you read what I read?  Does this mean what I think it means?  It looks like a brothel to me!  And it's legal in Scarborough.  There are the usual business practice guidelines etc that need to be followed, but really....  You can read them for yourself here:

 https://www.scarborough.me.us/common/ordinances/1011paramassage.pdf

Maybe I missed my true calling?  I mean considering my license plate is the $39.99 special.......just a thought

 

No comments:

Post a Comment