Monday, September 30, 2013

Rice Sock to the Rescue!

I have lived in my house for over 12 years. The first 9 years were with my husband before he left, the last 11 with my beautiful son. Throughout all that time I have never once felt unsafe or scared in my house. I happily sleep alone with nary a care. I could never understand why my ex husband was always so scared at night. I would work late or pick up an overnight shift and find out sometimes years later that he was so scared of the noises of an old house and busy street he would wake our young son up and/or call his mom.  I just couldn't relate to the inability to be alone to the degree he lived with every day. Now, it's been 3 years since he left me so I have no idea if he has learned to be at peace alone or not...all I know is that a couple of nights ago I got a taste of being nervous in my house without someone there to protect me....is this how the ex felt every night?  

I woke at 3:30am, the house was dark, I heard a noise that sounded like someone was in the washing machine or dryer and trying to get out.  (Strange I know, but that's what I likened the sound to at the time). The intermittent banging sounding like it was coming from downstairs had my heart pounding in my chest as I lay in bed straining to hear if my attackers were coming closer....how to defend myself and my precious child?  I admit it was a terrifying moment. I slowly and as quietly as possible climbed out of bed, grabbed the only weapon (of sorts) at my immediate disposal: my rice sock.  I mean, it's heavy so I figure I might be able to knock a burglar out and give me time to call the police right?  Hit him just right and I could do some damage with this sucker!  It's therapeutic on so many levels....


I crept slowly to my bedroom door, as I approached the top of my stairs I heard the terrifying sound again- it was coming from my open window......from the Hannafords distribution center behind my neighborhood........really?  I was scared of trucks being loaded in the distance?  I breathed a huge sigh of relief....and went back to bed. 

I wasn't really scared........

But I sure am glad I had my rice sock.....just sayin....

No comments:

Post a Comment